Is the Doctoral School really free?

Yes, by law it is free of charge for everyone.


Who receives the subsistence scholarship?

Every student admitted to the Doctoral School and legally staying or residing on the territory of Poland (i.e. you need to have a valid visa or residence permit).


Is the subsistence scholarship enough to cover the costs of living?

Yes, at a basic level. After a successful midterm evaluation, the scholarship grows by ca. 50%.


Am I eligible to apply to the Doctoral School?

Your current degree (MA or equivalent) gives you the right to join our Doctoral School if it enables you to start doctoral education, or apply for a doctoral degree, in the country where it was obtained. Pay attention to the scientific disciplines in which we run our doctoral programs.


How do I apply to the Doctoral School?

Please follow our Practical Recruitment Guide. You may also want to watch this 40-minute video presentation.


Does the Pedagogical University provide accommodation?

Yes, you are entitled to use the Pedagogical University’s low-priced housing facilities.


What is the language of training at the Doctoral School?

Most of the courses are taught in English; in the few other cases, non-Polish speaking students receive individual tutorship. Doctoral supervision is carried out in English.


Is the doctoral training carried out online?

No. However, we are gradually increasing the share of blended learning in our doctoral program.


How do I find a supervisor?

You do not need to arrange a supervisor before admission to the Doctoral School. Supervisors are appointed later from among the Pedagogical University professors (have a look here), or from other universities in Poland or any other country. Two supervisors may be appointed for one doctoral student, if justified. Additionally, a so-called ‘auxiliary supervisor’ may also be appointed at the doctoral student’s request.


Are current students satisfied with the Doctoral School?

Well, see for yourself.


Do I need to buy a private health insurance?

No, by law your healthcare expenses will be covered by the Polish National Health Insurance. However, the visa procedures may require you to buy a private health insurance for the first month of your stay, before you register at the National Health Insurance program.


Is research funding available at the Doctoral School?

Yes, there are multiple funding opportunities for research and academic mobility.


Is Poland a safe place?

It is actually one of the safest places in the world. According to Eurostat, Poland ranks as the 3rd safest country in Europe, based on the number of crimes reported in 2019. In terms of the Global Peace Index, compared to other European countries Poland ranks above such countries as Spain, Italy or the UK, just under the Netherlands. According to World Population Review, Poland’s homicide rate is lower than for Ireland, Denmark, Sweden or Germany.


Is life in Poland difficult for a foreigner?

Certainly not in metropolitan areas. Krakow itself is one of the most multicultural cities in Poland, with thousands of foreigners studying, working or just visiting. It would be really hard to find a restaurant that does not have an English version of the menu! Poland is also one of the cheapest countries in the European Union.


Is a Polish PhD degree recognized in other countries? 

“A PhD in Poland awards an internationally recognised doctorate” (findaphd.com). “The diploma awarded to them [foreign students] upon graduation is recognised not only Europe-wide but also in most countries of the world” (phdportal.com). The Bologna Process significantly facilitates the recognition of academic degrees among member countries. Poland is also a signatory of the Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region; other signatories include 47 members of the Council of Europe as well as the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and several other countries.

What they say about us

PhD student